Drink Driving in Perth WA

Latest drink driving news from NSW, VIC, QLD, ACT, TAS, SA, WA & NT

Moderators: Victorian Lawyer, Edward80

Drink Driving in Perth WA

Postby allisoncampbell » February 4th, 2012, 2:14 pm

My son lost his licence on the 5th of October for DUI for 4 months. He has been to court and paid the fine etc but has misplaced the court documents. My question is : I am pretty sure his licence was suspended not cancelled therefore does this mean he can resume driving on the 5th of February (4 months after the conviction date)? Also am i correct is saying his licence was suspended not cancelled. Is this usual or is it usual for it to be cancelled meaning he will need to sit his tests again? He was off p plates at the time. We have logged in to the licence area of the transport and it just indicates that the licence number is invalid and doesn't give any other information.
allisoncampbell

Re: Drink Driving in Perth WA

Postby TalbotOlivierWA » February 6th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Dear Allison, You are correct to use the term suspension not cancellation. Without knowing more about your son's situation and whether there are any other reasons why his licence might be remain suspended, I cannot say that he is entitled to drive again on 5 February. If you are not sure if his licence is still suspended, my advice is for your son to either telephone, or preferably to write or email the Department of Transport, asking them to confirm that he has a valid drivers licence and his period of suspension has been completed. I am not aware of any regulations which would require him to sit his examinations again.
Kristine Warman - Senior Associate
Talbot Olivier - Legal Services (Perth, WA)
http://www.talbotolivier.com.au/

T (08) 9420 7100
Level 8 Wesfarmers House 40 The Esplanade Perth WA 6000
TalbotOlivierWA

Return to Drink Driving News